Course History

The finest golf course architect

Construction of the Northamptonshire County Golf Course began in April 1909 and the course was opened for play the following year.

The original 18 holes were designed by the distinguished golf course architect, Harry S Colt, who also designed Wentworth and Sunningdale. The course has stood the test of time very well as relatively few major alterations have been made to it since; the most notable of which were carried out by James Braid, in 1947, when the pattern and arrangement of many bunkers were altered and the 18th. green was relocated to its present position in front of the clubhouse.

A further 3 splendid holes designed by top course architect, Cameron Sinclair, were opened in May 2004. These now provide a 9 hole loop returning to the clubhouse, for those wishing to play 9 or 27 holes.

Hole 7a - One of the new holes addded

The 6 hole, Par 3 Colt Course was added in 2008. It is constructed using the latest Synthetic Putting Surfaces to give year round consistency to those wishing to hone their Pitching, Chipping and Putting skills.

In 2005 a major review was initiated with the objectives of bringing the course in line with modern requirements as a sound test of golf, to provide a greater challenge and enjoyment for members, without creating insurmountable obstacles and to enhance its standing nationally. The plan formulated included lengthening the course, when played from the back tees, to approximately 6750 yards but maintaining the existing length from the yellow tees. New bunkering largely creates a need for more thought and care when playing from the tee but some other changes will make the course less forbidding to the shorter hitter, for example the entrance to the 6th green and extending the cut area at the 2nd nearer to the tee. This work was also undertaken by Cameron Sinclair and completed over 2 successive winters from 2006/7.

 

Prestige

The course is a traditional heathland golf course with undulating woodland, gorse, heather and fine pine woods.

In recent years Northamptonshire County Golf Club has been the venue for many National amateur golfing competitions including the English Schools National Championships (1997), English Golf Union Carris Trophy (1994) and the British Girls Open Tournament (1992).

In addition, for 6 years from 1997 until 2002, the course was the home of the Regional Qualifying for the Open Championship. We are to become a Regional Qualifying course for the Open Championship again in 2018. The final of the EGU Club Team Championship was played over the Brampton course in 2002 and in 2004 the ELGA Closed Championship was held here. In May 2007 and through to 2013 we have hosted the prestigious PGA Seniors Professional Championship, a three day event, and depite the high quality fields only a handful of rounds below par were recorded in any year.